Don't mess with Momma Bear...
My poor sweet baby is so very sick. I haven't seen him this sick in a really, really long time. He came home from school on Friday and fell asleep on the couch. As much as I just wanted to believe he was tired, mom intuition kicked in and I just knew he was getting sick. Sure he enough he woke up with a fever and vomited later on the night. Since Friday he hasn't been out of bed for more than maybe 3 hours total. He has no appetite, is completely lethargic, has a horrible cough, has woken up 2 mornings in a row with blood all over his face due to a bloody nose...he just isn't himself.
I took him to the doctor this morning and found out that he has a double ear infection, and although he tested negative for the flu, the doctor said he has a really, really bad virus and was also concerned about his asthma. So off we went to Target to pick up a pharmacy of meds for him.
When we got to Target we of course had to wait for the prescriptions to be filled so I picked up a few things we needed while we waited. Even his absolute favorite store couldn't cheer him up. He didn't even ask to go look at the toys! All he wanted to do was sleep...
As we waited in line to pay for our things I could feel the lady behind me shooting daggers at me with her eyes every time Carter coughed up a lung. The conversation that happened next literally made my blood boil and brought the momma bear out in me...
Crotchety Lady, "Ugh, can you tell him to cover his mouth"Me, "He IS"Crotchety Lady, "He shouldn't even be out spreading his germs"Me, "We just came from the doctor and had to pick up his meds"Crotchety Lady, "Well, you shoulda left him at home"Momma Bear Lacee, "REALLY LADY? Do you even have kids?"Crotchety Lady, "No"Momma Bear Lacee, "Then you wouldn't understand so keep your comments to yourself please"Crotchety Lady, "I'm just sayin' you should teach your kid to cover his mouth"Momma Bear Lacee, "HE IS. AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GO GET IN ANOTHER LINE"Nice Lady behind Crotchety Lady, "Yeah! Keep your mouth shut or move!"{Crotchety Lady storms off to another line}Nice Lady, "You are doing a great job with you son. Don't let people like that get to you."
I was seriously shaking with anger. I wanted to punch.her.in.the.face. I simply don't understand how people can be so incredibly insensitive and rude.
Then there was the "Nice Lady" who I wanted to hug and have a good cry on her shoulder. A mom herself, she had certainly been in my shoes a number of times and knew exactly how I was feeling. Her kind words of support made me think...
As moms we've all dealt with sick babies, tantrums in public, frustrating shopping trips, and probably even Miss Crotchety Lady herself...we've all "been there." We all know the feelings of helplessness, embarrassment, and pure frustration in those situations. But how amazing would it be if the next time you saw a fellow momma enduring one of these not so pleasant motherhood experiences you were like "Nice Lady" and offered a word of encouragement or a reassuring smile letting them know that they are not alone. That they are understood. That we are not judging, but rather empathizing with them because we too have been in their shoes. I think the world would be a better place.
So thank you "Nice Lady" for your kind comments, encouragement and support. You may not know it, but today you made me a better momma. One who will try harder to remember to show support to fellow mommas in distress. Thank you. Thank you.
So now with a kitchen full of various meds...
I'm off to nurse my little boy back to health. What medicine can't heal...love, cuddles and chocolate chips to help the yucky medicine go down will.
Take care everyone.
