Thursday, February 9, 2012

Homemade Coffee Creamer

About 6 months ago I made a new BFF. In fact, I even let this new friend move in with me. He has a cozy little spot in the kitchen and greets me every morning with his delicious aroma. He doesn't judge me by the way I look in the morning...my swollen eyes, grumpy expression, or the visit I got from the hair fairy...he accepts me for who I am. He goes by the name...
Mr. Keurig.



Until Mr. Keurig came into my life, I rarely drank coffee. Starbucks was just an occasional treat. But now, I am hooked. I am pretty particular about the way I like my coffee. I have my creamer to coffee ratio down pat. Some people like their coffee black, I like mine white...yes, I tend to go a little overboard in the creamer department. 

I recently came across THIS recipe on Pinterest on how to make your own coffee creamer and I thought I would give it a try. After all, I spend a lot on creamer each week and when I actually looked at the label to see what I was pouring into my coffee I was a little frightened by all the big words. I tweaked the original recipe a bit because it is one of those recipes that is very tweakable {hmm...is that a word?} and may even make some more adjustments when I make it again. But over all it was DELICIOUS and super easy to make. You could totally make it in different flavors, but I chose vanilla cause it's my favorite. So here is the basic recipe and remember...feel free to tweak away *wink*

Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer



Ingredients:
*14oz milk
{I used vanilla almond milk but any milk will do...even heavy cream if you're feeling really naughty}
*14oz cream of coconut
{or you could use sweetened condensed milk. I didn't have any so that's why I used the coconut}
*1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla coffee syrup
{or any flavor you like}

** UPDATE 1/13/12**
I tried making this with the sweetened condensed milk and liked it SO much better! The mixture wasn't as thick and it tasted more vanilla-y than coconutty...super YUM!
 
Directions:
Throw all your ingredients in a quart sized mason jar, screw on the lid and shake it like a polaroid picture!

I saved one of my old store bought bottles of creamer, ripped the label off and filled it with my new homemade creamer so it would be easier to pour.

Easy peasy and delicious!
Let me know if you try it and how you change it up!


Photobucket