LACEEEEE...you have some splainin' to do!
{Just as a warning: this post is probably going to be all over the place. I have about a million thoughts swirling around in my little head and neither the time or energy to organize them. So, it is what it is...}
I feel like I have some splainin' to do. Or in the words of Dr. Phil, its time for me to "get real" about how I've been feeling. I just sat down at my desk in front of my computer for the first time in over a week. In fact, I looked up at my calendar and it was still on the month of January. Sad, I know. Things have been all outta whack here lately. With Carter being super sick {passing it on to momma} and needing my full attention, other things have been put on the back burner. Lately it feels like I have been drowning is a sea of unread/unwritten blog posts, giveaways, linky parties, fb, and emails. Then add to the whirlpool household chores, snot, tissues, medicine, doctors appointments, exhaustion...I barely feel like I can stay afloat!
When I started blogging last year in June, I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. I never expected my blog to grow as it has or for anyone to even take an interest in it. I never expected to be asked to guest post or have guests post on my blog. I didn't think I'd be asked to participate in giveaways or even host successful ones myself. I had no clue what a blog/fb hop was or what a link party was or that I'd ever join in on one. I didn't know what a sponsor was or how to promote them. I certainly didn't expect to get to know so many amazing people and form relationships with them. And I didn't realize that all of this would/could lead to overwhelming feelings of guilt about not being able to keep up.
It seems that blogging and I have had somewhat of a love/frustrating {but mostly love} relationship. You see, I love my blog and it's little tiny corner of the internet, I love my readers, I love writing, I love sharing and interacting with like minds, and I love to help other people. But what I didn't realize is that blogging can be extremely time consuming...heck it can be ALL consuming! I know that technically I am not obligated to anyone to blog or be apart of all of this and yet, I feel SO guilty when I am not able to leave a comment on everyone's blog post, enter/participate in every giveaway, promote/support every one's business, answer every email, join every party, or post several new posts in a week. No one is making me feel this way...just my own stupid "I have to do it all" self. I then start comparing myself to others who seem to be able to do so much more than I am capable of or even want to do at times. I seriously wonder how some of you seem do it all!
Recently, I have had to tell people "no" when they've asked me to participate in something and let me tell you it just kills me. I HATE feeling like I am letting someone down. And for the most part you have all been very understanding. I've had a few "not so nice" comments that really sting, but at this very moment I really don't feel like I can take on anymore and I will not commit to something that I don't feel like I can follow through on. I'm NOT saying that I want you to stop asking, I'm just saying that the answer might not always be yes and I ask that you please try to understand and respect that.
Balance. I've been thinking a lot about that a lot lately. How do I balance my responsibilities of being a mom, wife and taking care of a home and family with doing something that I absolutely love and without feeling stretched completely thin?Prioritize.
Obviously, my family will ALWAYS come first. Their needs and the responsibilities I've committed myself to will come before anyone and anything else. But what about blogging? I love that too and I deserve to do something that I love. I guess this is where the balance part comes in. It's been suggested that maybe I take a break for awhile, and while that may help, I don't think it would actually solve the problem. So my plan is to get better organized and set my priorities. I am going to set aside only a few hours during the day to blog, fb, email, promote, link, enter, ect. I want to completely devote my evenings and weekends to family...no/very limited blogging duties allowed. If I make a commitment to you I promise I will follow through. I appreciate and value every.single.one. of you who support and read what I have to say and I thank you in advance for understanding where I'm coming from with all this and my need to take a small step back for the time being.
So, that's what's going on here! Just trying to get my crap together and get out of this funky funk I'm in. Do any of you ever feel this way about blogging or life in general? Overwhelmed, like you just can't keep up? I hope I'm not alone in this!