Tuesday, November 15, 2011

WebMD = Death


I've been debating the last few days about sharing some...shall we say...not so lovely news with you all. It's what most would probably consider TMI. But then I thought to myself, hey this blog is about the good, the bad, the ugly AND sometimes down right gross...right? Well, it will be after this.

Lately I have been telling people I have been sick. And while that's not a lie, I haven't really embellished on what exactly I am sick with...so here's the truth. For the past two weeks or so I have been dealing with a nasty infection...a Staph infection to be exact. How I got it I have absolutely no idea. Well, obviously I had some sort of cut that got badly infected, but I thought this kinda stuff only happened to dirty gross people, not me who showers twice a day, washes her hands obsessively, and has an addiction to hand sanitizer. At first I had no idea what it was. I started to form two little boil like things in my cleavage {ok cleavage is a term I use very loosely in my case since I have the chest of a 12 year old, but you get the idea} and after about a week they became so incredibly painful and swollen I decided to go to the doctor.

As soon as I showed the doc what was going on under my shirt he said, "Well it looks like you have a pretty bad Staph infection" and he prescribed me some antibiotics. "Ok" I thought, not too sure what that really means but he didn't seem all that concerned so at least I should start feeling better in a couple days...WRONG! After only two doses of the antibiotics I became so incredibly sick. The side effects of the medication were horrible. My head hurt so bad, I was dizzy, nauseous, and even experienced some anxiety...crying and shaking like a leaf when it came time to take the next dose. Not fun at all. I called the doctor and they prescribed me a new medication which ended up being much more manageable.

But the pain only increased. And we are talking PAIN people. Intense burning, shooting pains that I think you can only understand if you've had this type of infection before. Now I've experienced pain before {child birth with forceps and vacuum extraction, I've had 8 teeth removed at one time and have had screws screwed directly into my gums for braces only using a topical numbing gel} and consider myself to be a pretty tough cookie...but this HURT LIKE A MOTHER BEAR {that's my way of using foul language haha}. I couldn't sleep because I couldn't lay on my side or stomach and I despise sleeping on my back. I couldn't wear a bra because of the location. One day it was so bad I took 8 Advil in one day only to look at the bottle and see that you are only supposed to take 6 max in a 24 hour period. Oh well, I was desperate for relief.

Instead of looking like things were getting better, it only started to look worse. I didn't know what to do so I turned to WebMD for some answers. BIG MISTAKE. I felt like I had just read my death sentence! I felt like it was saying, "Well hun, you'd better start writing your will cause you're about to kick the bucket." Stupid internet...I should have known better. Those websites always turn a simple bruise into a life threatening tumor or something.

 But then finally...and her comes the gross part...relief came when the little volcanos on my chest started to drain. Can you say NASTY? But at least the pressure was released and the pain was starting to subside and I was feeling more confident that I wasn't going to die or have an alien pop out of my chest. Now, I just have two lovely little craters on my chest. And although the pain is nearly gone, the last couple of days I have been absolutely EXHAUSTED. I have naturally put myself last, as usual, by continuing to do all that I normally do instead of resting and now it seems my body is saying, "Enough is enough lady!! I'm trying to fight a freakin' infection here!! Go lay down and rest already!!" So I am trying to listen and let my body heal. But it's so hard when there is so much to be done and so much I want to do!

I go to the doctor next week to have him check everything out, so hopefully all will be better and I can go back to my normal, infection-free life. Well, I hope I haven't grossed you all out too much! I told one of my bloggy BFF's about this and she said, "I've had 6 kids...nothing you say can gross me out!" I love her ;) 

Ok I'm off to rest and get better! Talk to you all soon and I promise the subject will be much more pleasant!

xoxo,
Lacee