Monday, December 12, 2011

DIY Leg Warmers {Tutorial}

I posted this tutorial last month on The Momma Bird's blog, but I thought I would share it again here just in case you missed it ;)


So have you all noticed the new trend this season? They are all over Pinterest and I have seen them in so many stores around town. 
Leg Warmers!!


Now, I will admit, I am not much of a trendy girl, but when I saw these being worn under boots I loved it and had to try it. Only problem was the price. You see, I'm kinda cheap and just could not justify spending $15+ on a pair of leg warmers when I was pretty confident that I could make my own for much less. So ya know what I did? I took a little trip to the GoodWill, used some coupons from Joann's and made me TWO pairs of leg warmers for only $10!! 



This was actually my first real "big girl" sewing project too...where I actual used a sewing machine! With some help from my MIL, these were actually really easy to make. 
So, c'mon let me show you how its done!

Supplies
**Old sweaters 1 to 2 sizes too big
{basically you need to make sure that the sleeves will fit over your legs. I found two men's sweaters at Goodwill for $3 each.}
**Embellishments  
{buttons, fur, ribbon, lace...whatever your heart desires}
**A sewing Machine



Here's What You Do
Start by laying out your sweater and cutting off both sleeves.


Next, put a sleeve on your leg and measure how high you want it to be and mark it with a pin {I measured mine to about right under my knee}. Take the sleeve off and cut it across where you marked.


Then lay it on top of your other sleeve and cut it to the same length.


Sew a zig-zag stitch to the cut end of your sleeves to keep it from unraveling.


To attach the fur, take the strip and put it around your leg to measure how big around it should be then sew the ends together to form a circle.


Then cut off the excess leaving about a 1/4 inch.


Now turn your sleeve inside out and pin the fur cuff to the sleeve with the wrong side facing out. Then sew the cuff onto the sleeve.



Turn them right side out, fold over the furry cuff and WHAM BAM you're DONE!


Here's what they look like on...


Now the brown pair was even easier to make. All I did was cut off the sleeves, measure the height on my leg, cut off the excess then ran a zig-zag stitch around the cut end. I actually liked how the zig-zag stitch kinda ruffled the edge so I decided to go with it!


I then folded the ruffled edge over about 3 inches and hand stitched on some cute buttons. That's it! Literally took like 10 minutes to make!


Here's what they look like on...



So I hope you give them a try!
You'll be so surprised at how easy they are and how inexpensive they are to make...especially if you already have your own sweaters to use!

xoxo,
Lacee
Linking up here