Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake

Remember last week when I shared THIS post with you on my recipe for Oreo bark and told you that I had another yummy dessert recipe for you? Well, your wait is over my dears...










Let me tell you all little something about this cake. It was new recipe the I had been wanting to try for awhile and the opportunity finally came up to make it when some friends of ours invited us over for dinner and asked me to bring dessert. Well, once I put this cake together I was MORTIFIED by the way it looked...so mortified in fact, that I didn't even take a picture of the whole finished cake. It was ugly and just looked gross. 

First off the original recipe I had found called for Oreo pudding which I couldn't find. So I decided to go with french vanilla pudding because in my mind french vanilla is supposed to taste better than regular old vanilla, right? Well, what I didn't realize is that french vanilla pudding is yellow and looks like egg yolks {blech}. When I poured the pudding over the cake I wanted to cry it looked so horrid. I begged my husband to stop by the store so I could pick up an emergency dessert and his reply was,

"Chocolate cake, pudding and Oreos...how could it possibly taste bad?!"
My reply, "Did you even LOOK at it? It looks disgusting! I should take a bite first to make sure it's good."
Hubbs, "You can't take cake to someone else's house with a bite missing out of it!"
Me, "It's for their own good!!"

Long story short...I didn't take a bite out of the cake and I brought it...totally against my will. I was so embarrassed and warned everyone just how gross it was probably going to taste. But to my surprise everyone LOVED it!! I wondered if they were just being nice so I cut myself a piece and tried it...
HOLY MOSES it was DELICIOUS!!

So the moral of the story is this...
Just because it looks gross doesn't mean it is!

The best thing about this cake is that it's totally adaptable. You could pretty much use any cake/pudding combo that floats your boat! I think a vanilla cake with banana pudding and some crushed vanilla wafers on top would be amazing. The possibilities are endless! So here's the basic recipe and feel free to change it up however you wish...

Chocolate Pudding Poke Cake
Ingredients





Cake mix of your choice and ingredients to make it
2 boxes {3.4 oz} instant pudding of your choice
Cookie topping of your choice finely crushed

Directions

Bake cake according to directions on the box. Once done, remove from oven and poke holes all over the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon like so...





Now make the pudding according to the directions on the box and allow the pudding to sit for a few minutes to slightly thicken. Pour the pudding over the warm cake and spread out evenly with a spatula. Top with the crushed cookies and refrigerate. The longer you leave the cake in the fridge the more time it has to soak up all of the pudding goodness and the better it tastes. I recommend making it the day before you want to serve it.






Hopefully the next time I make this it will look a lot prettier.
But even if it doesn't it will still taste delicious!



Photobucket