Thursday, October 27, 2011

Homemade Crock Pot Applesauce





Ever since our fall family trip to Apple Hill {you can read about that HERE} I have been craving homemade applesauce. I also look for any excuse these days to use my new apple corer, peeler, slinky maker, do-hicky thing-a-ma-jigger...{I do believe that is the technical term for it}.





I made this applesauce for the first time last fall and absolutely fell in love with it. I loved the fact that not only was it SO incredibly easy to make but it tasted even BETTER than anything I had ever bought in the store! I also liked that I could control how much sugar was going in it too. 


You can make this applesauce two ways. The traditional way would be to put everything in a large saucepan and cook it over medium heat until the apples are soft, let it cool then mash it with a fork or potato masher. 


I chose the even easier route. I throw everything in my good 'ol Crock Pot and let it do all the work for me! I like this method because 1) I don't even have to mash it when it's done {I don't mind a little chunk in my applesauce}, and 2) it makes my house smell absolutely incredible! I swear they need to make a candle that smells like homemade applesauce! When done, it will taste like you slaved over a hot stove all day tending to your applesauce's every need...sweating, stirring, laboring. But it'll be our little secret just how easy this really is *wink*




Ingredients:
8 apples peeled, cored and chopped {I used honey crisp apples, they are naturally super sweet so not much sugar is required at all}
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup of white sugar {you can add more if you like it sweeter, but I recommend waiting until the end to do so because you might not need it}
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon {or more if you like it more cinnamon-y}




Directions:
Throw all ingredients in Crock Pot, give it a stir and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
That's it. Seriously. Not kidding. It's REALLY that easy!



It is so good nice and warm straight out of the Crock Pot and even better the next day after its chilled in the fridge. Make some. No, make A LOT. Trust me on this one peeps. You will not be disappointed! 


xoxo,
Lacee


Linking up here
You should too!