Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Labeling Your Kiddo's Jacket {one momma's mission to avoiding the lost and found}

With the approach of cooler weather, its time to start dragging those coats and jackets out of the closet and getting them ready for bundling up in. This year presented a new challenge for me in the jacket department though. Now that Booger Bear has started school, I needed to come up with a way to label his jacket to prevent it from ending up in the dreaded {and horribly overflowing} lost and found at school. His particular school presents an even bigger problem since all the kids are required to wear uniforms. Every kid there has the SAME EXACT blue hooded jacket. Both a blessing and a curse I believe. I had looked into a few different ways of doing this, one ending in an epic fail and the other being a little to pricey for this cheap momma.

The first was the ever handy Sharpie. I tried just writing Carter's name on the tag of one of his shirts with a Sharpie only to have the letters bleed together and look like one big illegible blob. Washing it only made the "blob" fade and become even worse. FAIL.

The second was ordering clothing labels online. Pre-printed with his name, all I'd have to do is iron them on. This is what I was going to do until I found out that you had to order like a zillion of them {I only need to label ONE jacket, I highly doubt he will loose his shirt, pants or underwear at school} and the price plus shipping was sorta outrageous. Don't get me wrong, they were super cute and all that good stuff, but boys don't care about cute and all I'm worried about is NOT having to spend another $30 on a jacket for school. Plus, I'm all about passing on gently used clothes to others, so I wanted something that could be easily removed since I more than likely won't find another Carter to pass this on to.

So today I thought I share with you my solution. It's cool, durable, cheap, easy and makes it easily identifiable for him and I...which in my opinion makes it totally awesome. For about $4 and 4 easy steps, I was able to do this in about 2 minutes...



Pretty nifty, huh?!

Here's what you'll need...



The package of letter beads I bought at Michaels came with 400 beads, so if you have multiple jackets to label you'll really get your money's worth!

Here's what you do...


1) Thread your needle and tie a knot in the end of your embroidery floss. Pull the needle through from the back side of the tag.

2) Thread the letters onto the needle starting with the last letter in the name.

3) Pull the letters all the way down the thread until they touch the tag.

4) Push the needle through the topside of the tag and pull it through the back. Tie off on the backside of the tag and you're done!


I give myself an A+ for this project ;)
Hope this is a helpful project that will help you {and your kiddo} in avoiding that horrible lost and found!




xoxo,
Lacee