If you saw my update on fb yesterday, then you know that yesterday morning my boys and I were in a car accident. Thankfully it was nothing too serious, and besides some sore backs, necks and head aches we are all doing fine. I wanted to take a minute to share with you what happened because I was reminded of some pretty important things yesterday in the midst of all the chaos. Things that unfortunately you forget to remember until something potentially tragic happens.
We had just left our house to go on our family trip to Apple Hill {more to come on that in a later post}. We were all so excited to spend the day together as a family enjoying the family tradition we had started last year. I was driving and we were no more than two minutes from our house when I stopped at a red light. I was talking with my hubby and when I glanced up the light was green. It's amazing how many thoughts can run through your head in a split second...
How long has the light been green?
Have I been sitting here long?
Is the driver behind me upset?
I glance in the rear view mirror...
That car sure is coming fast.
I don't think it's gonna stop...
BOOM
We were rear ended while at a dead stop by a car going about 40 mph.
My first reaction was to turn around and see if my son was ok. Then my hubby. Then me. Thank God everyone was fine.
I pulled over and watched as the lady behind me got out of her car. My first instinct was to be angry.
UGH...Why weren't you paying attention?!?
I stepped out of the car to a woman about my age who was clearly frazzled and very apologetic. I glanced into her car and noticed her 3 children sitting inside. She explained that she had been distracted by her kids.
In that instant my face softened. I realized that this mother was no different than I was...in fact it could have been me in her shoes. We were all ok and there was no point making her feel even worse than she clearly did.
On our drive up to Apple Hill I thought...A LOT. I thought about how many times I have been in the car and been distracted by my kid or other things.
How many times I had turned around to replace a fallen paci or bottle.
How many times I had stretched myself to reach a fallen toy on the floor.
How many times the crying or whining from the backseat had me down to my very last nerve.
How many times I had sent that text that "just couldn't wait."
How many times I took that phone call that really didn't need to be answered.
All while the car was IN MOTION.
I thought about the car ride home from the hospital after Carter was born and how the hubbs drove home going about 10 miles an hour while I sat in the back seat holding onto the carseat.
What's changed, though?
Why was I so careful then, but feel like it's ok to take those risks now?
The truth: It's NOT ok. And it's a shame that it took what happened yesterday morning to remind me of that.
Once we reached our destination safely, I spend the whole rest of the day feeling incredibly thankful.
Thankful that we were all ok. That the other driver and her kids were ok too.
Thankful for another day that I get to spend with the two people I love most in this world.
Thankful that even though we had a bad start to our day we chose to make it better.
Thankful that even though what happened was bad, I could still somehow appreciate the reminder that came from it.
I share this with you all today because I know I am not alone in being distracted in the car and doing things that I really know I shouldn't be doing...things that can WAIT. I hope that this will remind you to PLEASE be more careful while driving. To pull over to answer that phone call or send that text message or to deal with your kids. To be grateful for every moment you have to spend with your loved ones because in the blink of an eye your whole world can completely change. Thankfully this time, ours stayed the same.
xoxo,
Lacee







